How will grievances be dealt with during my employment?

If you have a grievance in connection with your employment, you should normally notify your supervisor who will take such steps as necessary and who will follow NES’ grievance procedure (as amended from time to time). The nature of the grievance will have a bearing on who leads the grievance. When the grievance pertains to pay or terms and conditions, NES will lead the grievance process. When a grievance relates to a local issue, the placement Board/ practice may lead the grievance process, feeding back information and outcomes to NES, with NES representation on the panel where appropriate.

Disputes relating to education and training will still be referred to the Director of Postgraduate General Practice Education as appropriate.

Banding appeals will be led by the placement Board.