When do I need to provide a medical certificate?

If you are absent for 7 calendar days or less you can self certify your absence to your placement board. If you are a GP in a practice placement, you should complete the ABS 1 Notification of Sickness Absence Form on your return to work and submit this to NES HR.

If your absence extends beyond 7 days you will be required to obtain and submit a medical certificate or ‘Fit Note’ from your GP, or a Hospital In-Patient Certificate from the treating hospital, which needs to be submitted to your placement board.