Frequently Asked Questions

1. How will the outcome of the EU referendum affect our current staff from the EU?

When the UK leaves the EU on 29 March 2019, the UK and the EU negotiating parties have agreed that EU citizens who arrive in the UK before the end of the implementation period on 31 December 2020 will be able to continue to live and work here as they can now.

Free movement will no longer apply after 30 December 2020 and EU citizens will be required to apply for either settled status or pre-settled status via the Home Office EU settlement scheme.

Citizens of the Republic of Ireland will be unaffected and permitted to remain in the UK due to existing arrangements between the UK and the Republic of Ireland outside the EU freedom of movement.

The government has previously confirmed that workers’ rights will be protected by the European Union (Withdrawal) Bill, which will convert existing EU law into UK law. It’s not anticipated that many changes will be made to UK employment law, at least not in the short term.

2. Which of my EU staff will be eligible for settled status?

There are three eligibility requirements for EU citizens applying for settled status. They must:

  •  be an EU national or dependant
  •  have continuously lived in the UK for five years or more by 31 December 2020
  •  have no serious or persistent criminal background.

EU citizens who arrive in the UK before 31 December 2020 but have not been living continuously in the UK for five years will be able to apply for pre-settled status before switching to settled status once they have been in the UK for five years. The second application will be free of charge.

3. What is continuous residence?

Continuous residence is where a person has not been outside of the UK for more than six months in total in any 12 month period. There is no restriction on the number of absences a person can make from the UK.

A single period of absence of more than six months but less than 12 months is permitted where this is for an important reason, such as pregnancy, childbirth, serious illness, study, vocational training or an overseas posting.

Any period of absence in relation to compulsory military service is also permitted.

4. What action should I advise our EU staff to take now?

The Home Office has published details of its new EU settlement scheme. The scheme is now open and you have until 30 June 2021 to apply for settled status.

Employees are advised not to apply for indefinite leave to remain (ILR) under the current system. The current system for making ILR applications is complex and lengthy, and it is intended that the EU settlement scheme will be considerably simpler.

5. How will our EU staff apply for settled status and how long will the process take?

You can find all the information required for applying to the EUSS by following the below link. Please note, some documents and evidence required is dependant on whether you will be eligible for Settled of Pre-Settled, however everyone will required the following:

When you apply, you’ll need proof of:

- your identity
- your residence in the UK, unless you have a valid permanent residence document, or valid indefinite leave to remain in or enter the UK status

6. If an EU member of staff has British citizenship how will the UK leaving the EU affect them?

EU citizens who have been naturalised as British citizens will be unaffected by the UK’s exit from the EU and will be permitted to retain their citizenship.

EU citizens, who have held a document confirming permanent residence for 12 months or more, are eligible to apply for naturalisation as a British citizen. EU citizens considering naturalisation will need to ensure that the rules of their home country permit dual nationality, and whether any of their family members may be affected by them obtaining British citizenship.

A naturalisation application costs £1282 for adults and £973 for children.

EU citizens who have legitimately obtained ILR will be guaranteed settled status once the new system is in place and therefore an application for naturalisation may be unnecessary.

7. What should we advise an EU member of staff who previously requested a permanent residence document and was unsuccessful?

There is no need for your EU staff members to request a reconsideration now as the government has confirmed that until the UK exits the EU, EU citizens that are resident in the UK will continue to benefit from their existing rights to live and work here. Following the UK’s exit from the EU, the individual will need to make a new application under the EU Settlement Scheme.

However, if the application is refused for a seemingly straightforward reason (under the current system, many applications fail due to the applicant’s failure to provide the correct documentation) an applicant would be well advised to request a reconsideration now. There will be a simple process for exchanging an ILR document for a settled status document and this will be free of charge.

The technical document submitted by the government to the European Commission as part of the ongoing exit negotiations makes clear that those applying to remain in the UK following Brexit will not have their applications refused on minor technicalities, and caseworkers considering settled status applications will exercise discretion where appropriate. Therefore, it is possible that EU citizens who have had an application for ILR turned down may nevertheless be successful under the EU Settlement Scheme.

Unsuccessful applicants will also be given a statutory right to appeal against the decision, in keeping with the existing right under the EU Free Movement Directive.

8. What will happen to an EU national who has already obtained UK residence documents, will these be valid after the UK leaves the EU?

EU citizens who have been naturalised as British citizens will be unaffected by the UK’s exit from the EU and will be permitted to retain their citizenship. EU citizens who hold other residence documents, such as a permanent residence document or residence card, will need to apply for settled status under the new system. The government has agreed that the process will be streamlined for such applicants and documents will be converted free of charge.

9. What is the situation for families of our EU staff?

Family members who are living with, or join, EU citizens in the UK by 31 December 2020 will be able to apply for settled status, after they have accrued five years' continuous residence.

Close family members (i.e. spouses, civil and unmarried partners, dependent children and grandchildren, and dependant parents and grandparents) will be able to join EU citizens following the UK's exit from the EU, where the relationship existed on 31 December 2020.

Children born to or adopted by an EU citizen after being granted settled status, will automatically become a British citizen if they’re born in the UK. You will not need to apply for settled status on their behalf.

Family members who become related to an EU citizen after the withdrawal date (other than children born or legally adopted after that date), will be subject to the requirements of UK law i.e. their spouse or civil partner must meet a minimum income threshold, currently £18,600.

Useful email addresses/website addresses

To receive Email alerts from the home office:

To visit the European Commission’s website on citizen’s rights: 

EU Settlement Scheme: Employers toolkit 

Scottish Government website: EU Exit – what you need to know