Information for EU Citizens Working at NHS Education for Scotland (NES)

24 November 2017

NES is a forward facing, inclusive organisation, attracting international expertise and skills from around the globe. We greatly value the contribution of all our staff and recognise that some may have professional and personal concerns and questions, following the United Kingdom’s decision to leave the European Union (EU).

We are wholly committed to ensuring our EU staff and their families have access to up-to-date information, support and advice during this period of uncertainty and a number of sources of information are available via the links below.

Where can I find legal/immigration advice?

Staff in need of legal advice specific to immigration law may wish to visit the Law Society Scotland’s website. Here you will find details of solicitors throughout Scotland who are able to provide specialist immigration advice. The site can be accessed here:

Further advice on immigration can be found through the Office of Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC). The OISC regulates immigration advice and services under the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 and can provide details on registered immigration advisers. The site can be accessed here:

Is a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) document available?
The Scottish Government’s Health Workforce and Strategic Change Directorate are in the process of creating a Q&A document to help address common questions. This will be made available in due course.

Which countries are part of the EU?

The European Economic Area (EEA) includes EU countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. Switzerland is neither an EU nor EEA member but is part of the single market and therefore Swiss nationals have the same rights to live and work in the UK as other EEA nationals.

EU countries are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the UK.

Where can I access further resources?

The UK Government has a webpage with the latest information on the EU. Immigration is fully reserved to the UK Government and the webpage includes the UK Government’s policy paper “Safeguarding the Position of EU Citizens in the UK and UK Nationals in the EU”. The paper sets out the UK Government’s offer to EU citizens in the UK and provides details on how to apply for a residence document. The site can be accessed here:

The UK Government has stated that, at this time, EU citizens do not need to take any steps to secure their status. In order to receive updates on this position, you are encouraged to sign up for information through the Home Office.

The Scottish Government website also provides links for further advice and guidance, and links to the Scottish Government’s policy position on Brexit related issues, including information for anyone with concerns or questions on citizenship and residency. The site can be accessed here:

Staff can also view the Department for Exiting the European Union website for the latest information and position papers. The site can be accessed here:  

TalentScotland is part of Scotland’s economic development agency Scottish Enterprise, and provides general information through their website about living and working in Scotland. Information on British citizenship requirements and residency for EU and EEA nationals has been added, and this includes signposting to relevant Home Office guidance and application forms. Please note, TalentScotland cannot provide legal or immigration advice to individuals on their personal circumstances. However, as this is a complex legal area, links are provided to immigration specialists who are qualified to provide professional advice. The site can be accessed here:

Who can I contact within NES for support?

NES staff looking for further information, including advice regarding employment terms and conditions, should contact their Lead Business Partner – HR at